It’s that time of the year! Back to school! As summer is winding down, we would like to remind you of a few “Back to School” safety tips:
- A person may not use a wireless phone, at any time, while operating a motor vehicle on a roadway or in a school speed zone.
- Drivers should not block the crosswalk when stopped at a red light or waiting to make a turn.
- Passing a stopped scool bus – the driver of a vehicle shall stop the vehicle before meeting or overtaking, from either direction, any school bus stopped for the purpose of receiving or discharging pupils on a highway or upon a private road. Such stop is required before reaching the school bus when the school bus is in operation and the school bus visual signals are activated. The driver of the vehicle shall not proceed until the school bus resumes motion or the driver of the vehicle is signaled by the school bus driver to proceed or the visual signals are no longer activated.
- Child Passenger Protection Act – children under the age of 8 years must be secured in an appropriate child restraint system, more commonly called a child safety seat. Child safety seats include infant seats, convertible seats (rear-facing for infants and forward-facing for toddlers) and booster seats that are used with the vehicle lap and shoulder belt system.
- Always stop when directed to do so by a designated crossing guard or police officer.
- Remember children are the least predictable pedestrians and the most difficult to see.
School Speed Zones in Illinois
The following is an excerpt from Chapter 625 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes, Act 5, Chapter 11, Section 605:
On a school day when school children are present and so close thereto that a potential hazard exists because of the close proximity of the motorized traffic, no person shall drive a motor vehicle at a speed in excess of 20 miles per hour while passing a school zone or while traveling on a roadway on public school property or upon any public thoroughfare where children pass going to and from school. For the purpose of this Section a school day shall begin at 7:00am – 4:00pm
Here’s to a safe school year!